One Batik Spring in Canberra



The tulip and the butterfly
Appear in gayer coats than I
Let me be dressed fine as I will
Flies, worms and flowers exceed me still
*Isaac Watts


If the Netherlands is proud with its annual Keukenhof Festival, Australia has also its charming Floriade festival (http://www.floriadeaustralia.com/).

Indeed, celebrating the Spring season in Down Under is incomplete without a visit to the Tulip Floriade Festival in Canberra, the capital of Australia. Now in its 28th year, Floriade is claimed to be the largest floral festival in the southern hemisphere.

Each year the festival puts forward a different theme. This year the them is on “Reflection”. The theme is inspired by the 100th anniversary of Anzac landings at Gallipoli.

Now, I wish to share one very heartwarming moment occurred during our visit. As my parents and I walked through the festival and took photos in almost each spot, there was a woman who tapped me on my shoulder. As I turned around, I saw that she was wearing a set of kebaya and Indonesian Batik cloth.

Mrs Jun:Dek (younger sibling in Bahasa Indonesia), I have seen you and your parents from a distance. I wanted to approach you because I really like your scarf. Is that Batik?
JET:    Yes, tante (auntie in Bahasa Indonesia). This is a hand-painted Batik scarf from Yuku Moko, an Indonesian designer.
Mrs Jun:Really? I thought it must be Batik but the pattern and color is so striking that I was doubtful.
JET:    Indeed tante, Mr Yuku Moko is a renowned Indonesian designer focusing on creating Batik with exceptional patterns. His designs are inspired by his home town, Makassar in South Sulawesi.
Mrs Jun:        No wonder! I really like this fish pattern.
JET:                Hahaha. Tante, you have excellent eyes! These fishes are Mr Yuku Moko’s icon. All of his creations carry this pattern. You can identify his creations by looking at these unique fishes.
Mrs Jun:        Wow! I really like his creations. I will look for his shop when I return. Where is his shop?
JET:                Tante, this is his number. You can visit him in his shop or go to Sarinah in Jakarta to see his designs.
Mrs Jun:        Terima kasih (thank you in Bahasa Indonesia) dek. Stay fashionable and promoting Indonesian designs abroad! So happy to meet you today.
JET:                Likewise tante, so happy to meet you. Truly inspiring for wearing set of kebaya and Batik cloth while travelling. Thumbs up to you, tante!


Ps. A little note to my fashionable friends, feel confident to put on your most beloved traditional textile while travel. Don’t let your doubt stands in the way when you wish to turn heads! I hope you’ll enjoy the same experience as I had. My Batik scarf has been a show stopper even in a place so far away from the usual fashion crowds. In short, beautiful Batik + confidence = amazing look!!!

Catatan Kecil untuk temans fashionista dan rekans desainer, jangan pernah ragu untuk membawa dan mengenakan syal/kemeja/tas dan asesoris dari Batik, Ikat dll saat bepergian ke luar negeri. Bahkan saat mengunjungi festival kembang atau sekedar berjalan di taman di luar negeri, kenakanlah karya desainer anak bangsa dengan penuh kebanggaan. Batik/Tenun yang apik + percaya diri = penampilan hitsss!!!



Mrs Jun, in beautiful kebaya and Batik cloth, with Mom and I.



Look at these beauties!

My hand-painted Batik scarf is designed by Yuku Moko (Facebook: Yuku Moko)

Mom’s bag by Envyme Leather Bags (Facebook: Envyme Leather)



Take a look at these not-so-traditional tulip farmers!!! ;)



The Floriade tent with its hourly performance cheer up the crowd.



Glorious tulips and us!!!



Let’s have a quick bite from this range of good Aussie food before unravel the charming festival.



Mom simply lovess the tulips!!!



J’adore tulip! One charming bed of tulips!



Toot, toot, toot, who wants to ride this mini train?



As Keing Haring says, “You are LIFE, LOVE AND JUST PLAIN BEAUTIFUL!!!”

Here’s ONE BIG LOVE and A BED OF TULIPS to all my friends!!!

#JETFashionDiplomacy, #IndonesianFashionDiplomacy, #IndonesianBatik, #YukuMoko, #EnvyMeLeatherBag, #FloriadeAustralia, #Canberra, #Australia, #SpringinAustralia, #Tulip, #FamilyTrip


Comments

  1. And I loveeeee your scarf as well.. So strikingly beautiful that everyone will definitely turn their head while catching a glimpse of it! I have similar questions and admiration for the colorful tenun or batik I proudly wear on daily basis here as well J.. We are proud Indonesians indeed...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank youuu dear +indahnuria Indeed we are! Always admire your total Indonesian fashion diplomacy in Big Apple too. You have such an amazing collection not only of Batik but also Tenun and Ikat from Eastern parts of Indonesia. I need to follow your footsteps in adding more collection from NTT, Papua etc. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment