When Jenny Meets Henny: Our Enchanting Soirée with Jenny Kee




Growing up in Jakarta, my first encounter with Jenny Kee (http://www.jennykee.com), the legendary Australian designer, was through my Mom’s monthly Vogue, including Australian Vogue. I remember I used to be smiling all the time when I looked at Jenny Kee’s eclectic patterned and vibrant colored knitwears on the pages of Vogue. I told myself that one day I am going to meet the designer who made these sweaters.

Decades passed. When I joined the Indonesian Foreign Ministry more than a decade ago, I have become more aware and intrigued of how fashion can serve as a successful tool of diplomacy. In Indonesia, when we begin discussing fashion diplomacy, the first image that comes to our minds would be the centuries old tradition of Batik, Ikat, Tenun, Songket, Tapis, etc. Then, as I continued my further study, I began my research to other country’s fashion diplomacy, particularly Australia as I twice undertake my post-graduate studies in this lovely country.

I then re-discovered Jenny Kee’s designs during my research and visit to Powerhouse Museum in Sydney as well as National Gallery Australia in Canberra. I was simply amazed by her creations. Ms Kee was one of the very first Australian designers who created signature pattern of Australian flora and fauna, particularly the Waratah –considered by Jenny as her totem-, and the unforgettable and always-in-style Blinky Koala pattern which was worn by the late Diana, Princess of Wales, in 1982.

In short, Jenny’s designs serve as the embodiment of her love to Australia which she shares to everyone, regardless of their origins and nationalities. Through the strength of her creations, it is simply impossible to talk about Australian fashion diplomacy without highlighting Kee’s best Australiana designs. Indeed, Jenny has made it possible for Australian fashion to be risen and boosted as a tool of its country’s diplomacy.

A few weeks ago, The Sunday Style made an extensive coverage of Jenny Kee and her new collection which is a very exclusive and limited collection of knitwears. The reporter writes that “at 68 years old, Kee exudes an energy and originality that’s a gift to anyone taking her picture. She’s what used to be called “a character” – good at colour, good at telling stories, good with people: her enthusiasm is infectious”.

I remember reading that and I instantly remember my Mom, the one and only Mrs Henny Tandjung. As the first child, Mom was the apple of my grandparents’ eyes because from early age, she was good at colour and communication, fashion and people, and for sure she always exude energy and enthusiasm to her surroundings.

Another feature in the interview which reminds me a lot of my Mom was when Jenny, who is approaching 70 years old, also states her pride and fondness in labelled as Advanced Style Icon and that she would not trade it. I think my heart beats faster as I read those words because those are the very words uttered to me by my own Mom a few months earlier.

As Mom also approaches the seventh decades of her life, she constantly tells me that she is thankful to God for her life and that she is proud for all experiences, including all the tears and laughters, which have all added to her jolly and kind character.

Naturally, when I am invited to attend the private launching of Jenny Kee’s newest yet super limited collection at Parlour X boutique in Sydney (https://www.parlourx.com.au), I was ecstatic beyond words! And the fact that Mom is currently visiting me in Sydney have also added to my joy!

The day finally comes for My Mom and I to meet Jenny Kee in person at Parlour X. Mom and I decided to wear her creations for the special event. Mom in the JK fuchsia colored cardigan and I wore the Blinky Koala jumper –the renewed version of Lady Di’s-.

Mom stepped in Parlour X boutique in Paddington and the first moment Jenny shook my Mom’s hands, she wonderfully stated “I just loveee your style. I am so happy that you wear my magical JK jumper!”. Jenny calls the fuchsia JK jumper as a magical one because this jumper is the authentic remake of the jumper that save her daughter’s two year old life during the 1977 train crash in Granville which killed 83 people. She wrapped her daughter safely in this cardigan and the little girl was protected. The original JK cardigan is now kept in Powerhouse Museum, Sydney.

From the moment they met each other, Jenny and Henny –my Mom- felt connected to one another. I think this is natural as both Jenny and Henny are two women who come from the same generation and share similar hobby –aside from fashion lovers, both of them are avid collectors of Opals-. Another common feature is that they basically share almost identical name (Jenny and Henny) with a slight exception of J and H as the first letter. Oh, and not to mention, that they are both acknowledged as Advanced Style Icons in their respective circles of friends and communities.

Jenny dear, thank you heaps for such a lovely and magical evening. My Mom and I are proud to wear your creation, but more than that we are simply honoured to be your friends. Don’t forget to visit us in Jakarta! Looking forward to meet the divine Ms Kee again in a near future!

Ps. A note to my fellow Indonesian designers and Batik/Ikat makers, particularly the up and coming ones, while we do not have four seasons in our archipelago, it remains valid to create knitwear designs. Be inspired by Jenny Kee’s vibrant colored as well Aussie distinctive flora and fauna pattern –known as Australiana-. It is time for us to create Indonesiana , a collection of new and unique pattern which is based on our flora and fauna. I am eager to see and wear a black jumper with the front showing Anoa –a protected fauna in my Sulawesi, my Moom’s homeland- as well as depicting Rafflesia Arnoldi –a world wide known flower in Sumatera-.





When Jenny meets Henny: the legendary Jenny Kee and the fab Henny Tandjung a.k.a. my Mom. This is how two Advanced Style Icons meet, surely in a stylish soiree too!

JET:
Jumper: Blinky Koala by Jenny Kee
Leather jacket: Gucci
Batik and leather Bag: “Phoenix Kopi Tutung” J bag by Novita Yunus for Batik Chic
Denim: Cheap Monday

Mom:
Jumper: JK Cardigan by Jenny Kee
Scarf: Christian Dior (ca 1980s)
Bag: Hermes

Jenny Kee:
Jumper: Oz Collage by Jenny Kee



Eva Galambos (Founder and owner of the hip and classy Parlour X boutique in Paddington), Mom and JET. Eva also wears Kee’s Blinky Koala jumper.



Mom and Anna Plunkett, the creative designer of Romance Was Born.



Diana, HRH The Princess of Wales, wore the Blinky Koala jumper in 1982, standing aside HRH The Prince of Wales.



Jenny Kee’s Opal Design which was used for Karl Lagerfeld’s first collection for Chanel in 1982.



Jenny Kee and her totem, the much admired and sought-after Waratah scarves.

#jetfashiondiplomacy #jennykee #hennytandjung #indonesianbatik #australiandesigner #australianfashiondiplomacy #indonesianfashiondiplomacy #batikchic #blinkykoalajumper #advancedstyleicons

Comments

  1. oh my...that scarf is amaziiiing :)..looking great, Jay...I'd love to meet this divine lady as well..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss, I know you would like it. Look at the burst of colour and the Waratah looks so real. Even much so when you touch the scarf. Yeayyy, I also hope you meet this classy lady in person someday.

      Delete

Post a Comment