Maniac for Maticevski




“I am a maniac for Maticevski. Whatever he designs, I want them all!” as confessed by a pretty brunette Aussie fashionista at the beginning of Maticevski show when I asked her about the Australian designer. Another pretty blonde Sydneysider heard our chats and uttered “What I love about his design is Maticevski knows very well to make a woman looks romantic without overdoing it.”

Toni Maticevski is undoubtedly the sweetheart of Australian fashion scene, as witnessed from the numbers of Australian Who’s Who attending his show, from the songstress Jessica Mauboy to the male supermodels Stenmark twin brothers, his show was the much awaited show at the Sydney’s Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Australia.

While I have heard his name and browsed at his website several times, I have never seen his show. Naturally when I sat front row at his show, I understood completely why women are maniac for his designs.

Maticevski’s strength lies at his intelligence in putting forward a beautiful romantic dress with a 21st century twist of modernity. Either innovative choice of textile such as the mesh scuba fabric or the asymmetrical zipper and bow applique, each creation is felt like it has been crafted with such attentive eyes from the designer himself.

At the end of the day, I believe that what differentiates a great designer with the rest of the crowd is the designer’s ability to translate his ideas into his creations and to make them respond well in meeting the hungry fashionista’s fashion appetite who ranges from the 20 something under-graduate student, 40 something successful entrepreneur to 60 something art director.

Each Maticevski’s creation is crafted with a view to accommodate every woman’s shape and taste, now that is what made this Australian designers shines in Sydney, Paris, New York and other fashion capitals. His creations can not be exclusively categorized for a certain age period, as they are sought after not only by those size 0 or 2 twenty or thirty something career women and young mothers but also those in their 50s and 60s who attended his show looking impeccable in his designs

In line with Maticevski’s own words in an interview to Russh magazine, “I love that young women will buy the same piece of my design as a woman in her 50s and wear it so completely differently. I love that these women dress for themselves and not for their men or other women, this makes them even more alluring I find”. (http://www.russhmagazine.com/profiles/designers/toni-maticevski/)

Now, as I was waiting to congratulate him on his show, I came across this beautiful lady who is perhaps in her 50s and we chatted shortly. I thought she is one of his fans and friends as I could tell that she is dressed in Maticevski from head to toe. When Maticevski walked approaching us, this lady called out “Toni dear, come meet Joannes, a new friend of mine!”. That’s when I know who she is and what she meant for him. The smart and pretty woman is the mother of Toni Maticevski whose fashion savvy has obviously passed on to her designer son. Lucky me to have chatted with her and to see how proud she is with her son. This moment reminds me so much of the close relationship I share with my Jakarta-based Mom.

I’m sure you can tell what’s next! Well, after witnessing such airy yet pretty creations, and also that close and intimate introduction to Toni by his beloved Mom, I can not resist myself to become the new maniac for Maticevski’s creations!

Wanna be a maniac for Maticevski too? See his innovative designs below.



A woman can never go wrong with lilac, especially with this delightful one by Maticevski.



This must be one of the most favourite looks of the show, the pretty romantic and airy dress.



Any girl needs a dash of gold and this stylish one is a keeper.



The Grey dress that has been the talk of everyone in Sydney’s MBFWA.



And of course, this is not part of the show, but I just have to regram this photo of the divine Aishwarya Rai in a black ethereal Maticevski’s gown. (Regram from Toni Maticevski’s instagram).

Aishwarya Rai and Toni Maticevski: c’est parfait!


#jetfashiondiplomacy #jetgoestombfwa #tonimaticevski #maticevski #australianleadingfashiondesigner #aishwaryarai #theitshowatmbfwa

Comments