Indonesian Fashionista: A Trendsetter or Follower?



When Kanye West accompanied his famous wife, Kim Kardashian, in attending the Balmain fashion show for Spring/Summer 2015 in Paris last September, he was hailed again as a Fashion Trendsetter.

Fashion editors and bloggers acknowledged his fashion sense because of his golden embroidered navy coat which was designed by Dries Van Noten for Spring/Summer 2014.

My question would be why does it have to take Mr West to introduce this beautiful and intricate golden embroidered coat? I attended Traditional Costumes from Javanese and Balinese Royal Courts exhibition in Textile Museum, Jakarta, last September and I encountered this beautifully decorated wedding costumes for Javanese bride and groom.

Take a close look at the intricate golden embroidered velvet outfits which were all hand-crafted. The embroidery is thoroughly intricate and made even more luxe with the application of diamante on the black velvet cloth. Look how dapper and elegant it is.

My fellow Indonesians, stop being followers! Go revive the vast traditional heritage which have been provided by our fashionable ancestors.

It is now our time, Indonesian designers and fashionista, to marvel at our own archives of traditional costumes from Sabang to Merauke. Don’t stop to look for inspiration that we can use in our daily ensembles. I know that I am not Kanye West -very much aware that Kim K is not next to me on my comfy couch ;)- however I also understand very well that I do not have to be or to copy Mr West's style to have that dapper look.

I have decided to order a custom made golden embroidered coat by an Indonesian designer whose name will be revealed upon the completion of the pieces. Let's be a trendsetter and not followers! Time for Indonesian fashionistas to shine at the international fashion stage!


#jetfashiondiplomacy #indonesianfashiondiplomacy #indonesianfashiondiplomacylooksbackatarchives #javaneseweddingcostume #indonesia #royalcourtsofjava #kanyewest #kimkardashian #balmain #driesvannoten #embroideredcoats

Comments

Post a Comment